A Bright Solution for Dry Eyes is Here
Welcome to the dry eye treatment you’ve been waiting for
- Innovative light therapy for brighter results
- Targets multiple key contributors of dry eyes for lasting results
- Finally reduces your dependency on eye drops
- Developed with safety in mind, for your peace of mind
Eye & Contact Lens Associates of North Texas is pleased to be one of the first eye care centers in Dallas to offer Optilight by Lumenis®, a new FDA approved IPL (Intense Pulse Light) Therapy for the treatment of Dry Eye Syndrome. OptiLight® is a light-based, non-invasive treatment done around the eyes region to treat some of the underlying inflammation conditions that cause dry eye symptoms. It is the first and only IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment that is FDA-approved for dry eye management. The treatment is safe and gentle This is the latest and best technology for treating meibomian gland dysfunction which is commonly the cause of chronic dry eye in many patients.
Meibomian glands are oil glands located on the edge of the eyelids and play a role in the evaporation of tears. When these glands are clogged or inflamed, the eye has diffculty retaining lubrication, which causes dry eye. OptiLight uses precise pulses of light to reduce the inflammation that is typically associated with dry eye disease and improved meibomian glands’ functions.
Lumenis’ patented technology OPT™ (Optimal Pulse Technology) transforms the use of light and allows targeted, uniform, precise, and controlled treatment. Specifically designed for the delicate area below the eye, OPT™ safely and effectively breaks the vicious cycle of inflammation associated with dry eye.
OptiLight is a multi-factorial treatment for a multi-factorial disease. It addresses the disease by reducing major sources of inflammation leading to dry eye disease such as abnormal blood vessels, Demodex mites, and pro-inflammatory agents. OptiLight restors the function of meibomian glands and delays evaporation of the tear film.
We use Optilight® to improve the functionality of the glands.
Optilight® demonstrates significant benefits which include:
- Constricitng blood vessels responsible for inflammation
- Improving tear break up time
- Boosting the functionality of the meibomian glands
- Reducing bacteria and demodex mites tht live on the lids
This treatment is safe, effective, and non-invasive.
Dr. Johnson is skilled with IPL, ensuring that patients have a gentle and comfortable experience.
HOW DOES THE LUMENIS OPTILIGHT® IPL WORK?
- IPL, Intense Pulsed Light, is a light-based technology commonly used in dermatology to treat rosacea and reduce telangiectasia. IPL is now being used to treat meibomian gland dysfunction and dry-eye disease.
- During the procedure, a strategic level of light pulses is administered to penetrate the skin under the eye and targets the root cause of the inflammation.
- IPL treatment helps to liquefy and release hardened oils that have clogged the Meibomian glands in the eyelids. Additionally, as the IPL treatment treats your overall skin appearance, your eyelid inflammation is treated and improved as well. IPL procedures are effective, gentle and safe.
- IPL treatment for dry eye disease is an innovative use of a well-established medical procedure. IPL therapy is designed to address Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), the root cause of evaporative dry eye. IPL harnesses the power of light to send precise energy to break down any blockages in the meibomian glands in the eyelids. IPL can also reduce inflammation to improve gland function in the eyes.
WHAT DOES TREATMENT INVOLVE?
Treatment protocol typically consists of 4 sessions, at 2 to 4 weeks apart:
- IPL treatment is a simple in-office procedure. Your eye doctor will use shields and special cooling gel to protect your eyes from the pulses of light.
- The IPL device will painlessly direct light toward the glands in the eyelids, where the energy of the light pulses will gently heat and liquify any hardened oils that may be clogging the glands.
- Light is applied on the skin below the eyes, most patients report minimal discomfort.
- In some cases, OptiLight is followed by meibomian gland expression.
- Each session takes only 10-15 minutes. There is no downtime, you can resume your daily activities immediately
- A series of several treatments is usually recommended to ensure that the oil glands are clear and able to produce the necessary oils that are key to keeping eyes hydrated.
- The treatment protocol typically consists of 4 sessions 3 – 4 weeks apart. For optimal results, the same treatment will be performed on Days 1, 21, 45, and 75.
WHEN SHOULD I EXPECT IMPROVEMENT?
Patients typically report improvement after 2 to 3 treatments. For optimal results, 4 sessions are advised. To ensure long-term results, a maintenance session is recommended every 6-12 months.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER TREATMENT?
You may experience some redness immediately following treatment. This will usually disappear within a few hours. You can return to your daily activities and apply makeup straight away in most cases. You will be advised to stay out of direct sunlight for a few days and to apply sunscreen.
CONTACT OUR OFFICE TO SCHEDULE AN EVALUATION